Straw Prices

Yep we'll be baling the college again this year.

Its hard to work out what way the big bale business is going- need to do a lot of bales to make any money at all, big balers are not easy to run. Yet new outfits appearing everywhere. Maybe time to go to 4x3 and persuade some cattle men that square is the new round.

Heard of a big contractor up Louth way with 6 balers! Apparently he sends 3 of them to England baling for the season.

that louth man has 7 if not 8 big balers now. be a fair headache this time of year. not sure apart the england bit but ya can hire them off him

And fair play to a smaller operation putting it up to the bigger guns.

They would actually be quite be buyers. Glanbia being the biggest single buyer but the acorn group collectively would be the biggest. None the less the 140 is a strong price , no doubt it raised a few eyebrows in the trade. The Brett's price on the journal says winter barley, wonder will the same be paid for spring stuff.

They would actually be quite be buyers. Glanbia being the biggest single buyer but the acorn group collectively would be the biggest. None the less the 140 is a strong price , no doubt it raised a few eyebrows in the trade. The Brett's price on the journal says winter barley, wonder will the same be paid for spring stuff.

Is there any talk on prices for rolled barley at the minute, I've had a couple of lads on to me about buying some rolled and treated with propcorn. I had around €180/t in my head.

Yep we'll be baling the college again this year.
Its hard to work out what way the big bale business is going- need to do a lot of bales to make any money at all, big balers are not easy to run. Yet new outfits appearing everywhere. Maybe time to go to 4x3 and persuade some cattle men that square is the new round.
Heard of a big contractor up Louth way with 6 balers! Apparently he sends 3 of them to England baling for the season.[/

Know the fella you are on about.

There have been a lot of guys got into the straw job and got out of it just as quickly over the years.

There is an outfit from North Dublin at it years. They would do the most in terms of bale numbers in the Meath/Dublin area. Very well organised, have a big crew of lads out though.

straw price 2014

The thing with buying lots of straw is where the margin comes into play , ie get a good price for baling or make a little more for being a straw merchant . To be honest do travel a fair bit to bale for one customer but get the bulk of baling from him ( he supplies they shroom crowd ) . On my point of view when buying straw I tell the customer up front what I'm getting for the straw and minus a good hire rate for baling and haulage .. If they don't want to work it's ok I'm at the stage where working for nothing is a waste of time but being honest and getting straw pays the way .. A lot of people mightn't agree with me but I'm also on the side off selling straw in a strong area

Last edited:
The thong with buying lots of straw is where the margin comes into play , ie get a good price for baling or make a little more for being a straw merchant . To be honest do travel a fair bit to bale for one customer but get the bilk of baling from him ( he supplies they shroom crowd ) . On my point of view when buying straw I tell the customer up front what I'm getting for the straw and minus a good hire rate for baling and haulage .. If they do t want to work it's ok I'm at the stage where working for morning is a waste of time but being honest and getting straw pays the way .. A lot of people mightn't agree with me but I'm so on the side off selling straw in a strong area

Thats interesting straw I'd say. Do tell us more:D

140 would be a strong price IF you could get it they say it will only be for winter barley

Me and my thong got on very well last night .... Might have even got a bit more with it and no missus to be seen with a thong !!!!!!!!!( feckin phones should have a barring order or very good spell check when a lad has a pint or 4 )

Watching my spelling carefully here while resurrecting this thread...

Any suggestions on price for spring barley straw on the ledge.
Local man with own small baler wants to bale it.

he has asked for a price per acre, as presumably he wants to bale it whatever way he wants.
But 50 cents a bale would seem very cheap anyway.

he has asked for a price per acre, as presumably he wants to bale it whatever way he wants.
But 50 cents a bale would seem very cheap anyway.

If we go another way - say 8 bales to the acre at €9 /bale. (you might be getting a good bit more up there). So €72/acre less baling (€3/bale ??)

So €6/bale net and no loading them either which is surely worth something - so overall €40/acre?

Was offered winter barley on the flat for €9 a bale (4x4) . Lad ended up baling it himself and all still in the field last time I passed .

Anything less than €50/acre after the cost of baling would definitely get chopped here.

€60-70 I reckon, the IFJ are making a bit of a balls of the straw talking it down so much, while the demand is back on the last couple of years I dont think its near as bad as they're making out, we are not having much bother selling it but I have never had so many farmers telling me about how much the IFJ are quoting and that farmer joe down the road will sell it for a euro cheaper than me, I know in future I will have no problem in jumping on the bandwagon and charging them a fortune when everyone else is as in previous years I tried to look after lads and didn't rob anyone but it seems that traffic is only one way :thumbdown:

Will straw be cheap this year.

Us miserable dairy farmers could do with some value:D

Crops are short, i can see bale numbers being down this year, plenty of straw will be chopped this year if there is not enough demand, do any of ye have straw left from last year, we put some in sheds last winter and it was all sold during the spring, at what price would ye lads in the main tillage areas not bale straw and chop it?

Back