Straw Prices

All mine is sold and not a straw cut yet. No price agreed but whatever the market turns up is the handshake agreement. If only it was as easy with the rest of farming.

Have around 400 4x4 bales in shed left here. Not putting any 4x4 in shed this year. Anything not sold in field will be chopped. Have heard of 8x4x3 bales sold from a shed last week but will not say price as i am disgusted at price.

Crops are short, i can see bale numbers being down this year, plenty of straw will be chopped this year if there is not enough demand, do any of ye have straw left from last year, we put some in sheds last winter and it was all sold during the spring, at what price would ye lads in the main tillage areas not bale straw and chop it?

Plenty left here too, no demand at all for them.

Our own stock will have a very comfy winter at this rate of going.

After a poor few weeks our crops are not short anyway so wouldn't expect it to be back that much.

I don't really know at what point I'd chop straw if I had a way to that is. I wouldn't go to much below a tenner a bale anyway. By the time it's baled and paid for the margin is gone very small for myself in lets say a 9 euro bale.

Reckon spring barley straw will be well back , have all the barley straw sold and bought 50 acres of w barley on the flat as well to meet demand, all wheatin straw sold along with another 200 acres bought . Oating straw is slow to move but have a few enquiries about it for feeding it so not worried , Heard of 4#4 straw sold out of a shed in athy at 9 a bale a fortnight ago so the price won't be that low much the same as last year and I think a lot of sheds back this direction are empty , won't be putting on the chopper but I do hear a lot of lads on about chopping headlands and even talking to one man near me who is going to chop 150 acres ( wants organic matter to build in his own ground ) .

Did anyone see the article in the farming indo Tuesday from the tillage guy who's name I cannot think of that was against chopping of straw and said if you are interested in putting back nutrients then why bother cutting the crop at all and leave the grain too, bit of a daft comment I taught. Neighbour here is chopping all headlands of every crop with 6 years, claims to be getting great results from his headlands now, no more blank compacted bits or water logging.

Did anyone see the article in the farming indo Tuesday from the tillage guy who's name I cannot think of that was against chopping of straw and said if you are interested in putting back nutrients then why bother cutting the crop at all and leave the grain too, bit of a daft comment I taught. Neighbour here is chopping all headlands of every crop with 6 years, claims to be getting great results from his headlands now, no more blank compacted bits or water logging.
Read that article, couldn't understand it all really....

Saw a good few fields in france last week being done that way, first 3-4 rounds being chopped and the rest baled.

I can see an awful lot of merit to chop even just the very first headland of the field of nothing else... It's the one that everything ends up parked on around here, there's generally some amount of green stuff in it no matter what you do(well unless spraying off but even then) and it tends to be under any trees etc so if it does get wet it ends up as muck that you'll never really dry out,

And then on top of that your adding something back to the worst part of the field from the point of view of trampling etc

Our ground has improved by chopping Straw . Maybe the idiot in the Independent should chop an acre without harvesting it and see how good next years crop will be . Where I saw it done the crop was at least six inches higher than the rest of the field . It was in trial plots where the roadways were mulched in for access and it showed up in next years crops .

Of course if it's good for the headlands then it's good for the rest of the field too?

What about rotationally chopping every second or third year?

Not many combines here have choppers do they?

Who is Dr Hackett? Is he a private lad or who does he work for? I taught the article was madness, the dog on the street knows about the off takes in straw and incorporating organic matter to improve structure and drainage and fertility etc.

Who is Dr Hackett? Is he a private lad or who does he work for? I taught the article was madness, the dog on the street knows about the off takes in straw and incorporating organic matter to improve structure and drainage and fertility etc.
Private agri consultant based in North Dublin I believe

It is completely at odds with what Andy Doyle has been preaching for decades now.

I'd quite like to chop straw but its the incorporation and ploughing in that I can struggle with (please don't mention not ploughing).
We have a disc harrow but need to put weights on it I think. Get good spread from the chopper can be a challenge too.

If we can't clear at least €50/ac from straw after baling and handling then I would definitely chop.

From a grass land only point of view. Straw (dung) turns poor land inside out especially peaty ground. Whether tillage land benifits to the same degree or not i couldnt say.

From a grass land only point of view. Straw (dung) turns poor land inside out especially peaty ground. Whether tillage land benifits to the same degree or not i couldnt say.

I'd say tillage land would benefit even more. I'd love to work out some kind of straw for dung swap/arrangement with a livestock farmer. I'd much prefer it to slurry.

It would have to be my own straw back in the dung though as don't want anyone else's weeds.

You could pick up weeds in the silage though could you not or are most seeds pretty much dead with the heat.

Came home through athy this evening and see 4 different harvesters out,3 of them were chopping and seen a few other stubble fields that were chopped as well

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You could pick up weeds in the silage though could you not or are most seeds pretty much dead with the heat.

I was more thinking about tillage weeds such as sterile brome, canary grass etc. Docks etc wouldn't worry me, the seedlings would generally be wiped out in the tillage crop.

In fairness to him he knows his stuff. He is working in the private sector, so unlike a lot of 'advisors', if he doesn't perform he won't survive.

I wouldn't read too much into one article, I think something got lost in the editing in that piece. I think what he means is that all possible value, including straw has to be taken out of the field, especially in a con acre situation.

Not having a dig at anyone at all, but guys in Teagasc and the man in the journal get their salaries paid no matter what quality of advice they give, or agenda they follow. The independent guys only agenda is to be top of their game and give the best possible advice they can, if they don't, they won't survive.m

The farming independent is an agricultural tabloid, all sensation and no substance.

you can,t beat dung for any sort of ground especially light soil ,we use a lot of dung here on the silage fields but i find that in the spring the fields that got dung are usually slower to dry compared to a field beside it which got none but i,d say its the organic matter that holds the moisture

I'd definitely agree with that here and see it first hand.

Have one field here that is a bit away from the yard that probably never got dung and we plastered it last year.

It has grown some grass last year since and again this year. The butt in it is completely different too.

It is an alluvium/peaty type of soil too rather than the usual Clonroche series.

Back