Straw Prices

As I said maybe it's more of a locational surplus, but twas he rang me and I didn't haggle with his price. We will see what it's like, could be poor quality. I don't see the issue with giving a few euro more per bale than usual anyways if the quality is good. Poor quality straw is poor value at any price though.
Might be better in wex but I haven't seen 1 bale of good quality straw all harvest. Had 1 man looking for a load of really good straw and money no object for a stud farm, he's still looking, what wasn't good enough a month ago is super now in comparison but all gone

Being honest, and knowing some of the ground, some of that land just isn't good enough for tillage.
Some of the land runs into bord na mona alright but infairness it usually works out fairly well with super yields, this year just putting the pressure on with ground conditions, the beet could be tricky

Some of the land runs into bord na mona alright but infairness it usually works out fairly well with super yields, this year just putting the pressure on with ground conditions, the beet could be tricky

It could surely and that's a heavy harvester.

Might be better in wex but I haven't seen 1 bale of good quality straw all harvest. Had 1 man looking for a load of really good straw and money no object for a stud farm, he's still looking, what wasn't good enough a month ago is super now in comparison but all gone
Was lucky here small acres I know but got it all baled in good order no rain but then 2 of the lads taking bales left the bales out in the rain think the last got taken away yesterday about a month later

Was lucky here small acres I know but got it all baled in good order no rain but then 2 of the lads taking bales left the bales out in the rain think the last got taken away yesterday about a month later
Awful to look at them out but as long as the price is agreed it’s their own problem. Is straw prices starting to rise now that panic has set in???

My straw looks great this year because the lads who baled it used yellow net which improved the look. Otherwise most of it looks like hay in a swath It's so weathered looking :sad:, oaten straw is the only gold stuff I have seen.

My straw looks great this year because the lads who baled it used yellow net which improved the look. Otherwise most of it looks like hay in a swath It's so weathered looking :sad:, oaten straw is the only gold stuff I have seen.
Would be very fussy here regarding net and only useplain white net if its available. Personal choice but we think its the only net that looks good on hay and straw.

as bad as the weather has been i dont think we have baled one damp bale of straw this year. Men are taking their time and turning straw. Hours are very limited, they only want see you from 2.30 to 8pm

Just got done turning 20 acres of the winter oaten straw. 5 weeks down at this stage I think and some has been turned 4 times now. Needless to say that's on shite but the rest that wasn't touched until today is actually in good order and might nearly be fit to bale by evening if that sun and wind keeps up.
Meanwhile I'm off to salvage some more sb for a neighbour.

Just got done turning 20 acres of the winter oaten straw. 5 weeks down at this stage I think and some has been turned 4 times now. Needless to say that's on shite but the rest that wasn't touched until today is actually in good order and might nearly be fit to bale by evening if that sun and wind keeps up.
Meanwhile I'm off to salvage some more sb for a neighbour.
Best of luck, I’m hoping tomorrow will be my day of salvage

Would be very fussy here regarding net and only useplain white net if its available. Personal choice but we think its the only net that looks good on hay and straw.

as bad as the weather has been i dont think we have baled one damp bale of straw this year. Men are taking their time and turning straw. Hours are very limited, they only want see you from 2.30 to 8pm

I'm not OCD when it comes to net wrap, but I do want something that's a bit durable, there was stuff used here a few years back and it almost break if a fly tipped it :sad:

Most around here are so fed up of turning straw that they want it as good as can be got even if it takes time.

Whats everyones thoughts on straw pricing?. Barley is 20 a bale around here and I've had a few customers offer that themselves which I'm happy with. I don't know what to charge for the wheaten and oaten straw. Tbh I have 20 across the board in mind but is that a bit much do ye think for the wheat and oats?.

Whats everyones thoughts on straw pricing?. Barley is 20 a bale around here and I've had a few customers offer that themselves which I'm happy with. I don't know what to charge for the wheaten and oaten straw. Tbh I have 20 across the board in mind but is that a bit much do ye think for the wheat and oats?.
All would be the same price with us as well.

If its good quality and they're willing to pay for it then €20 would be fine. Its making around €15 here atm but can see it being a fair bit more by Christmas.

If its good quality and they're willing to pay for it then €20 would be fine. Its making around €15 here atm but can see it being a fair bit more by Christmas.
What I'm selling is good quality. Anything weathered I'm keeping for myself as bedding. I don't want to gouging lads for straw but I also don't want to give it away either. You'll get the one thanks either way I suppose.

What I'm selling is good quality. Anything weathered I'm keeping for myself as bedding. I don't want to gouging lads for straw but I also don't want to give it away either. You'll get the one thanks either way I suppose.
With the year tillage farmers are after having I don't think anyone can accuse us of profiteering or price gouging. Maybe some will disagree but I think we are at the bottom of the pile this year.

I was hoping to put up a poll so people could put up prices in private but not sure how to. Anyway I hope people don’t think I’m intruding but it’s a hard year for pricing straw so I think it would help all of us if we put up general prices in our location. If you don’t feel comfortable please don’t do it. Journal is never a good place for gauging prices as all they ever want to do is drive them down. South Cork area and I’m getting €18 for Barley straw.

Alot of straw to be baled around here still and alot of bales in fields around also. Is straw slow moving at the moment?

Alot of straw to be baled around here still and alot of bales in fields around also. Is straw slow moving at the moment?

I suppose it depends on you location and the demand for it in the area. I had a regular customer that never contacted me this year. I found out later he had purchased elsewhere.. the same guy used to allway use the "ah come on, you'll do better for a regular customer" stunt when it came for paying. I found out another guy went in there this year and that the straw will be well stuck together when he opens them. I got 15 in the field for 4×4.

I suppose it depends on you location and the demand for it in the area. I had a regular customer that never contacted me this year. I found out later he had purchased elsewhere.. the same guy used to allway use the "ah come on, you'll do better for a regular customer" stunt when it came for paying. I found out another guy went in there this year and that the straw will be well stuck together when he opens them. I got 15 in the field for 4×4.
Usually when they are making the bales there nearly on the road by the time they come out of the baler.

Is there that much demand for straw and what are they using it for?
Thinking back, in 2012, we had half of the silage that we had gotten earlier that summer already fed by early october. I bought 50 bales of really nice straw for €25 a bale delivered and we used it to feed along with barley to the cows for the winter. Spring 2013 saw a few lads around here that were pretty desperate for straw for bedding pay €35 per bale. A good few lads that I know changed to peat for bedding cattle after that and are still using it. Some lads used sawdust. It's a different story around here this year. Silage is plentiful - I don't think we baled a single bale this summer that you could class as wet. I can't see silage being too expensive, so there can't be many looking for it for feeding. In saying that, I'm on the N4 several times every day and other years there would be regular lorries of hay and straw but they are few and far between this year. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Back