Straw Prices

See ollie b. Next door going cutting with the chopper on the other day said field would be a pain to get dry plus the swaths would be all over the place due to cutting the field in sections due to the hill

Attachments

• 20200909_111511.jpg
    20200909_111511.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 69
I've all bar 20 acres of oaten straw to bale and unless we get a few great days shortly it's going to be lost. It's a month on the ground now and is half rotten underneath.
Penny is dropped big time on straw scarcity and I've had several calls this week for straw. Nice looking swaths of straw are baling up very poorly and 10 bales an acre usually in other years is more like 6 this year. I baled up a block yesterday that always gives over 200 bales but this time I got 145 off it. 2 customers walked in before the 3rd bale was made and between them bought the lot.

I have a couple of smaller customers of mine who are holding back again this year. What they don't realise is that its all sold. They're drawing out the gap at an awful rate as fast as we can bale it..

@Blackwater boy the winter is here this side of the country now it’s very rare it improves this side from now on, Even the dairy boys have cows in at night now if not full time, I lived in Waterford for 4 years while in college and it used to be like going down to Spain during the week days and back to the rainforest on weekends once September came

Seems to be plenty straw in Wexford lads, although some of it isn't yet baled I believe, had a man with a reasonable acreage ring me wondering if I was interested in taking some and he wasn't quoting ridiculous money either so I told him bring on one load and I would see how good it was. Will see when I get it. Might be more of a local surplus I suppose, seems to be a lot scarcer up the country.

Must be a Wexford in a different country or God forbid a buyer trying to talk down price!!!

Finished baling here yesterday, like for like block is down 15% compared to last year and I've escaped well compared to many others even in adjoining parishes. Also very little WB around here and compared to the SB that replaced it, that's 50% reduction.

Every time straw is turned the gross margin is reduced by a bale to the acre roughly between cost of turning and the mashing that straw gets.

I've stacked 2019 and 2020 straw beside one another this evening :scared::scared:

@Blackwater boy the winter is here this side of the country now it’s very rare it improves this side from now on, Even the dairy boys have cows in at night now if not full time, I lived in Waterford for 4 years while in college and it used to be like going down to Spain during the week days and back to the rainforest on weekends once September came
Is there any daylight left at all

Well I reckon the chimney has fallen off the roofs of some houses as of today. My phone is near gone soft from the heat of the battery with calls for straw. One or 2 from so and so's who left me with straw last year despite ordering it at the time. I must confess to feeling a certain degree of satisfaction in telling them I'm sold out.
I've a field of rushes I'd nearly cut and bale if I could get a bit of weather to dry them and sell them :rolleyes2:

Finished baling here today. I was in 15 different fields tidying up bits of headlands and wet spots. SB averaged overall 7 bales/ acre. When you consider we chopped bits of headlands isn't too bad given the year.
Every bale is sold and still getting calls.
We were baling the 1st of March 2018 like @Blackwater boy . Patients and perseverance and harsh easterly wind were the key.

Must be a Wexford in a different country or God forbid a buyer trying to talk down price!!!

Finished baling here yesterday, like for like block is down 15% compared to last year and I've escaped well compared to many others even in adjoining parishes. Also very little WB around here and compared to the SB that replaced it, that's 50% reduction.

Every time straw is turned the gross margin is reduced by a bale to the acre roughly between cost of turning and the mashing that straw gets.

I've stacked 2019 and 2020 straw beside one another this evening :scared::scared:

As I said maybe it's more of a locational surplus, but twas he rang me and I didn't haggle with his price. We will see what it's like, could be poor quality. I don't see the issue with giving a few euro more per bale than usual anyways if the quality is good. Poor quality straw is poor value at any price though.

Finished baling here today. I was in 15 different fields tidying up bits of headlands and wet spots. SB averaged overall 7 bales/ acre. When you consider we chopped bits of headlands isn't too bad given the year.
Every bale is sold and still getting calls.
We were baling the 1st of March 2018 like @Blackwater boy . Patients and perseverance and harsh easterly wind were the key.
And a bit of hunger... it was all used and any fella who got some of it from me was very glad.

Back