The older masseys

Oh my god. I found one burnt out fuse today, a 25amp one, fuse number 15. The fuse for all the things that aren't working on that tractor but this puts me in a strange position, I'm in the process of servicing the tractor including the backend oil as I know that can cause all these problems too because the 2 for the backend get blocked up too. Was displaying all the symptoms of this with heavy steering, the pressure light on the dash, the 4wd was stuck on to try and make the 17 bar of pressure and the other usual stuff like the pto, dynashift and the hi lo box not working.

I'm changing the filters anyway but it might be useful to know in future, is it possible the filters were the original problem and this caused the fuse to blow?.

In a word … no 😀
A blocked filter wouldn’t cause a fuse to blow.

Done a bit of looking around at the 590 and this part here had me stumped. Should there not be an oil cooler there on front of the radiator.
20210622_212759.jpg20210622_212807.jpg

Only be a cooler if it has MP....I think.
It does have multipower or at least the leaver and the 3 speed box to indicate it does. Had a 2 door one there and it had an oil cooler on it. Has me scratching me head wondering if the multipower is still on it. Was the 6 speed box an option on the 590.

The tractor was bought by a fencing contractor for post driving in the 80s hence why it has the assistor ram too. Would removing the oil cooler have been any benefit to that specific job.

It does have multipower or at least the leaver and the 3 speed box to indicate it does. Had a 2 door one there and it had an oil cooler on it. Has me scratching me head wondering if the multipower is still on it. Was the 6 speed box an option on the 590.

The tractor was bought by a fencing contractor for post driving in the 80s hence why it has the assistor ram too. Would removing the oil cooler have been any benefit to that specific job.
590 here has the cooler and filter but no MP...

Did it have Independent PTO or a dual clutch? Dual clutch was available as an option
It has the independent pto. Thats another job that has to be done on that. Have to split it, jack up the cab and roll the back axle out from under it to put a new pto brake in it.

Hi, just new to the forum. I'm looking for any knowledge in relation to the option of installing a forward reserve shuttle box on to a 168 or 188? Has anyone experience or seen a shuttle modification on a 100 series super spec tractor and if so is it any good? The shuttle can apparently be fitted instead of the 6 inch spacer block

Hi, just new to the forum. I'm looking for any knowledge in relation to the option of installing a forward reserve shuttle box on to a 168 or 188? Has anyone experience or seen a shuttle modification on a 100 series super spec tractor and if so is it any good? The shuttle can apparently be fitted instead of the 6 inch spacer block
Like this ?
I ve seen one on another 168 at Charleville vintage a few years ago, talking to the owner at the time he thought his had been a factory fitted option.

There was a shuttle lever fitted to some clutch versions of MF loader backhoes too
IMG_20210904_092735457.jpg
I would think that the clutched shuttle would have been more common on the MF loaders/ industrial versions than on the agricultural versions, but most loaders I ve seen are torque converter versions.

Later MFs were available with 8x8 shuttle and of course the very popular 12/12 shuttle in the 300 series.
Someone else on here will probably know more details

Last edited:
Back