Winter Barley 2021

There has to be a Snapchat or Tiktok video of you somewhere with the tractor buried to the makers name!!
Luckily not but the tractor was an inch or two taller leaving the field with mud around the treads, had to go warp speed of 40k to clean the tyres on the road before returning to the yard for the next tank. The rain this week might help clear the road of muck after me...had to plan my entry and exit gates of each field to avoid double traveling on the tramlines.

One of my friends sent me this, it’s one our winter barley fields. I actually haven’t looked at it since it was sprayed back in October. There’s only 4 acres in the field, might try put some nitrogen on the bad side at the end of the week and hope for the best, no point sowing 2 acres of sb in it

Attachments

• 311BDF14-B9A8-490F-A822-CA43E29C3688.png
    311BDF14-B9A8-490F-A822-CA43E29C3688.png
    858.8 KB · Views: 129
One of my friends sent me this, it’s one our winter barley fields. I actually haven’t looked at it since it was sprayed back in October. There’s only 4 acres in the field, might try put some nitrogen on the bad side at the end of the week and hope for the best, no point sowing 2 acres of sb in it
I nursed a bit along last year like on the right of your picture and regretted it all summer, like you it was only 2 acres but at harvest i swore if it ever happened again that I'd rip it and stick in spring barley or else leave it lie fallow with no inputs.
The bit on the left would be grand though

I nursed a bit along last year like on the right of your picture and regretted it all summer, like you it was only 2 acres but at harvest i swore if it ever happened again that I'd rip it and stick in spring barley or else leave it lie fallow with no inputs.
The bit on the left would be grand though
Waste of time so ? Might just disc it and sow tillage raddish around May. It was sown far too wet and the crows played hell

Why the huge difference in a straight line? Seed?

Attachments

• 74F334D2-4A7E-4B05-AC34-3FCAEBD251E8.png
    74F334D2-4A7E-4B05-AC34-3FCAEBD251E8.png
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • 060A7576-E72D-4D60-A47A-0CC802C8528E.png
    060A7576-E72D-4D60-A47A-0CC802C8528E.png
    879.6 KB · Views: 39
  • C6D5C49E-B6CC-4A8D-A0D9-A39BA39EC1B7.png
    C6D5C49E-B6CC-4A8D-A0D9-A39BA39EC1B7.png
    1 MB · Views: 38
Yes but where I have the red line is where that would be roughly
I don’t understand you, does the line you have drawn match the line in the field? It’s either a seed issue or fertility. I’d be edging towards the seed thing, how I don’t know but that’s a very distinct line

I don’t understand you, does the line you have drawn match the line in the field? It’s either a seed issue or fertility. I’d be edging towards the seed thing, how I don’t know but that’s a very distinct line
The line is like the division so the stuff growing on the right of the line is the very poor side and there doesn’t appear to have been a separation there in the past. The seed would have been out of one half tonne bag that sown the whole field but ya I’m sort of wondering now myself as the line is very distinctive, maybe a soil test each side could be useful too

The line is like the division so the stuff growing on the right of the line is the very poor side and there doesn’t appear to have been a separation there in the past. The seed would have been out of one half tonne bag that sown the whole field but ya I’m sort of wondering now myself as the line is very distinctive, maybe a soil test each side could be useful too
Could be a change in sowing depth, either too deep or crows got it if too shallow and was easier pick at than stuff on left

Morning everyone R any of you considering giving the winter barley some compound. I know its early but if the temp rises after this cold snap would it be beneficial to have some by the roots

Morning everyone R any of you considering giving the winter barley some compound. I know its early but if the temp rises after this cold snap would it be beneficial to have some by the roots
Someone was recommending a light amount recently just to stop tillers dying off early, there will be no yellow barley competition this year going by around here crops have held a great colour.

Reactions: t77
I’m never afraid to go early with fertiliser on winter barley, normally in ten days time on worn ground in the south.

I wouldn’t be in any rush to do it at the moment unless the crop is really struggling for some reason.
Soil temperatures must be below normal, to me the year seems a bit slow to get going.

I’ll hold off until around the 20th of the month here at the south coast and see how things look then.

Crops do generally have a good colour, they are probably soaking up any bit of residual N left in the soil. I do sometimes wonder if the repeated swapping between cold and mild weather allows for more N release from the soil.

I’m never afraid to go early with fertiliser on winter barley, normally in ten days time on worn ground in the south.

I wouldn’t be in any rush to do it at the moment unless the crop is really struggling for some reason.
Soil temperatures must be below normal, to me the year seems a bit slow to get going.

I’ll hold off until around the 20th of the month here at the south coast and see how things look then.

Crops do generally have a good colour, they are probably soaking up any bit of residual N left in the soil. I do sometimes wonder if the repeated swapping between cold and mild weather allows for more N release from the soil.
Thanks for your advice J

Tbh I'm giving some serious thought to going out with compound on my wb in the next few days depending on how long this cold weather lasts. Once the weather looks like going back to rain I think I'm going to go. I've gone early in the past when tramlines were in good order and never regretted it. I've also noticed wb has thickened noticeably in the last 10 days or so.

First compound going out 🤪🤪

Attachments

• 3FB2A97A-1B71-4F78-A197-82F7F804A3A3.jpeg
    3FB2A97A-1B71-4F78-A197-82F7F804A3A3.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 76F7B7DE-59E1-4EAA-9549-266AD452A214.jpeg
    76F7B7DE-59E1-4EAA-9549-266AD452A214.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 7BFB6C09-C7F1-4150-8D45-559B59672892.jpeg
    7BFB6C09-C7F1-4150-8D45-559B59672892.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 0A8611E9-4265-476D-A677-EAE6BA8CAB7C.jpeg