Winter Barley 2021

Tbh I'm giving some serious thought to going out with compound on my wb in the next few days depending on how long this cold weather lasts. Once the weather looks like going back to rain I think I'm going to go. I've gone early in the past when tramlines were in good order and never regretted it. I've also noticed wb has thickened noticeably in the last 10 days or so.
Well that idea was a bust. I went out this morning to do some of the heavier wb ground and one of the actuators decided to give up on the spreader. New one ordered and should have it next week but that's the end of me doing anything for now while land is dry.
The profits of the few acres i got done will be gone with the cost of the damn thing.

Well that idea was a bust. I went out this morning to do some of the heavier wb ground and one of the actuators decided to give up on the spreader. New one ordered and should have it next week but that's the end of me doing anything for now while land is dry.
The profits of the few acres i got done will be gone with the cost of the damn thing.
Have you a pic of the actuator?

I know the feeling.
Had the sprayer out on Wednesday (no wind). Was driving out the shed lifting the sprayer - the back window wasn't latched and decided to open - l was still picking glass out of my ears on Thursday!!
Before anyone asks why l was spraying in cold temps like an eejit, some wb was seriously suffering in the cold from manganese deficiency.
The general consensus was to get it on?!
I'd been regretting rolling in the Autumn given all the rain since, but l think a fluffy seed bed would have finished the barley with manganese problem.
It's hard to win - washed out or manganesed out! :angry:

All tramlines although Iv been told from growers with more expeirence on this that even if you don’t go on tram lines this time of year it will recover, covered 15 acres today at slightly over 2000 gallons per acre. it will be a good comparison anyways

We really should have a thread dedicated to the use organic manures and slurry on crops.
As tillage growers, many of us, will have more access to organics in the coming years,
As is clear from other threads, the day of moving slurry on paper is over, slurry will be moved from highly stocked dairy and cattle farms, where will it go? To other stock farms or to tillage farms, as farmers we need to work together on this for the benefit of all involved.

A good quality product has a value to a tillage farmer, the product can’t carry much expense, haulage and spreading costs can quickly erode any benefit.

A poor quality product could end up expensive, even if it was delivered and spread for free.
Inconsistent loads, uneven application, can cause lodging, compaction and general mucking can lead to a delay in planting.

We’ve been doing a bit of it here, on stubbles only, we haven’t been brave enough yet to go on a growing crop, I’ve seen it done, by tanker with a splash plate, injected and by umbilical with a dribble bar, there are benefits there are also potential problems.
From our knowledge and experience. Whether on stubbles or a growing crop, low emission umbilical is the best method of application where it can be used.

Tankers are grand where the the draw is short, long draw adds too much cost in our experience.
We need more knowledge on how best to utilise slurry and dung, what’s the best time to apply, before planting? Is there an added benefit to be for from application on a growing crop? What’s the best time and method of application?

Last edited:
Send me a picture of the actuator,iv gotten kuhn one fixed here locally here before,not saying its the same problem but my man would have a look at it for you. Linak actuator?

The tankers drawing here carry 3000 gallons and a artic 6000 gallons and the time on the draw would not be much different . Where there are trucks already in the equation it pays to use an artic .
We are getting good results putting slurry ahead of spring barley and using 110 units of Sul Can . The fact we usually have a cover crop and are mintil means the ground can carry the tankers . The slurry is from a cattle feedlot.
Mud on the road is one disadvantage. Even the lane to the yard got very slippery. I had to scrape the lane after a man hauling grain said he thought he would have to go to Canada to be on Ice Road Truckers.

I have access from 2 farms for pig slurry, one I can take whatever I want out of it but have to draw it myself but the quality of slurry is unreal it’s working out at 24 units of readily available nitrogen but that’s not accounting for losses to volatilisation etc. The other slurry is slightly over half the value but I actually get paid to remove it. In my own non scientifically backed conspiracy theory I believe that the likes of the pig slurry is full of trace elements as well as main nutrients. And again another non science backed conspiracy but I think the crop would be better in a drought situation as your putting a small level of OM back into the top layer of soil that probably has a lot burned out from tillage ????

Send me a picture of the actuator,iv gotten kuhn one fixed here locally here before,not saying its the same problem but my man would have a look at it for you. Linak actuator?
It's on the spreader but I'll get a picture of it next week when I take it off.
The motor end of it is fine. It's the tone sensor or metering sensor seems to be dead.

Did a bit of research on it today regarding costs , I can get pig slurry and have one place I have tanks and 80 acres. Waiting back to hear the test results on the slurry but it would want to be very good stuff. To get it piped and spread would work out at around €12 an acre , allow a cost of €3 an acre to spread fert and that leaves the slurry at €9 compared to a bag of 10.10.20 at €17, now maybe I’m comparing to the wrong fert but that’s nearly the dearest option to use ,while you are not getting organic matter with artificial fert I’m not sure the difference is enough. Maybe I’m trying to talk my way out of it but I actually do want to give it a go !!!

I will, if land dries out, but my barley was latish and backward, if it was sown on time and is thick enough hold off till Paddy's day.
A lot of mine is hungry looking in stripes which look to be where the ground wasn’t pressed

A lot of mine is hungry looking in stripes which look to be where the ground wasn’t pressed
Early P will slightly help, but it is very hard to make up for a poor seedbed, IF, and it is a big if, it gets dry enough a run of a flat roller might be a help, but it is easy do more harm than good.

Early P will slightly help, but it is very hard to make up for a poor seedbed, IF, and it is a big if, it gets dry enough a run of a flat roller might be a help, but it is easy do more harm than good.
I wonder would pressing at sowing have helped

Any need to roll barley now that wasn’t rolled post sowing? Crop looks good at the moment with few small stones if any in it, not anything that would damage machinery.

Any need to roll barley now that wasn’t rolled post sowing? Crop looks good at the moment with few small stones if any in it, not anything that would damage machinery.
After rain of last then days ! I have 154 mm in gauge , 183 mm for feb
If it dries up enough and that will take a while and doesn’t interfere with spray timing and is still early tillering
Maybe
Personally wouldn’t bother. Rain has beaten it into ground

After rain of last then days ! I have 154 mm in gauge , 183 mm for feb
If it dries up enough and that will take a while and doesn’t interfere with spray timing and is still early tillering
Maybe
Personally wouldn’t bother. Rain has beaten it into ground
I didn’t mean roll it this week, maybe in March. But the ground has firmed surprisingly well since sowing, probably do more harm than good if it didn’t need it.

Back