how much is tillage ground making ?

I would bid you a ton of wheat as rent per acre, for each of the 10 yrs. Cant be fairer than that

The way I see myself leasing land is, I won't ever be able to pay the top price, because if the landlord wants the place minded properly and to be paid on time, I have to be making an equitable margin.

What is a tonne of wheat per acre currently making?

Would you not consider potatoes or vegetables growers if your willing to let for 10 years or are you hoping to restrict use to cereals only? You mentioned land made 150 -25 years ago and should move on but return on cereals has fallen over that period.

Would you not consider potatoes or vegetables growers if your willing to let for 10 years or are you hoping to restrict use to cereals only? You mentioned land made 150 -25 years ago and should move on but return on cereals has fallen over that period.

Return from farming hasn't dictated rent prices for a long time

Don't hate me for taking advantage of this reality

Potatoes are hard on land and the extra money not worth the potential harm

I couldn’t agree that return hasn’t dictated. Return from dairying and root crops has had a direct impact. But also the way the entitlement system operates has also pushed.

I’m not knocking you for taking advantage but to get the better price you might need to consider other crops.

I’m also simply pointing a counter argument to your suggestion that because it was 150 -25 years ago for cereals it should be higher now. I could also say grain should be a higher price and maybe this year it will be but most years certainly the return is less than 25+ years ago

I couldn’t agree that return hasn’t dictated. Return from dairying and root crops has had a direct impact. But also the way the entitlement system operates has also pushed.

I’m not knocking you for taking advantage but to get the better price you might need to consider other crops.

I’m also simply pointing a counter argument to your suggestion that because it was 150 -25 years ago for cereals it should be higher now. I could also say grain should be a higher price and maybe this year it will be but most years certainly the return is less than 25+ years ago

I know that, the " don't hate me for " is just a silly Americanism thrown in , not literally meant

Have the rest of the year to think about it

Agriland.ie articles telling me 200 is not overly ambitious for tillage and those are older than 2021

Don’t mind the agriland articles and the €200 they will get for you , if you google the farming independent they will definitely get you €300 an acre handy, they might even get near €400 from a dairy lad.

Don’t mind the agriland articles and the €200 they will get for you , if you google the farming independent they will definitely get you €300 an acre handy, they might even get near €400 from a dairy lad.

That's true ,only fellas in the tillage sector who rent ground are reliable as to what land for grain is worth 😉

I think you can get 200 for it especially since you are open to doing a 10 year lease but it will be based on highest bidder on open market. I think what lads are saying if you want control and want to cherry pick the right farmer you may have to accept less.

Some very reliable tillage men giving well over €200 an acre for tillage ground . In 1997 I gave it in £ for the Slate House farm with no beet involved and a lot of the farm was not eligible for tillage entitlements .

€200 an acre for land in the west compared to €200 in the east or south has to be looked at closely. I'm not questioning the quality of the land but the difference in climate, rainfall, temperature etc can cause a serious difference in planting dates, growth rates, yield and quality.

East Galway but its a particularly good vein of ground
Stupid question perhaps but why cereals? I would imagine a dairy farmer would pay you more for it to be honest. You will have no problem getting 200 euro per acre in my opinion if it is good ground. Don't know how you are going to manage the entitlements though.

Stupid question perhaps but why cereals? I would imagine a dairy farmer would pay you more for it to be honest. You will have no problem getting 200 euro per acre in my opinion if it is good ground. Don't know how you are going to manage the entitlements though.

not a stupid question at all , my Mrs doesnt want me leasing ground for livestock due to our young fella being targeted by one a little over a year ago , cow missed him and got me thankfully but she was a lot more shook up about it than I was

the kids would inevitably wander down to the tenants stock and as for fencing , our three year old would get into a lion cage at the zoo , shes that good at climbing

not a stupid question at all , my Mrs doesnt want me leasing ground for livestock due to our young fella being targeted by one a little over a year ago , cow missed him and got me thankfully but she was a lot more shook up about it than I was

the kids would inevitably wander down to the tenants stock and as for fencing , our three year old would get into a lion cage at the zoo , shes that good at climbing
Understandable for her to be weary of livestock so, apologies I had forgotten about your run in with the cow.

I had forgotten that it was you that had put yourself between the cow and your child.
How are you now?

how about a situation where the tenant held on to 100% of the BPS and Greening or whatever subsidies are in place under the next scheme

what figure for tillage would be reasonable in my case where my entitlements are worth 329 per hectare including greening , thats 133 euro per acre ?

were i to be sure of say 300 per acre , I would not care if I lost my entitlements under the next CAP programme , if the tenant ended up being awarded them

how about a situation where the tenant held on to 100% of the BPS and Greening or whatever subsidies are in place under the next scheme

what figure for tillage would be reasonable in my case where my entitlements are worth 329 per hectare including greening , thats 133 euro per acre ?

were i to be sure of say 300 per acre , I would not care if I lost my entitlements under the next CAP programme , if the tenant ended up being awarded them
I'd say that is the way to go, in my opinion you will get the 300 per acre no problem if it is good ground in that scenario and you are leasing the ground for a reasonably long term.

but there is a great chance that these entitlements could be lost when this new deal is hammered out, be that next year or a few years time. As renter I would be very slow entering into anything longer than a year lease of entitlements at the moment. So I would be offering a ton of green wheat (around 180 - 200 this season) for each year of the 10, plus the actual entitlement, but I would be looking to keep the greening element for my risk. you would be getting a nice shade over 250 per ac for aslong as the current SFP lasts.

I dont know how relevant the ton of wheat per acre is anymore. Jim Mc Carthy was working off that figure 20 years ago but how many of the factors have remained static in that time? Certainly there wasn't anything like the competition there is now for rented ground

but there is a great chance that these entitlements could be lost when this new deal is hammered out, be that next year or a few years time. As renter I would be very slow entering into anything longer than a year lease of entitlements at the moment. So I would be offering a ton of green wheat (around 180 - 200 this season) for each year of the 10, plus the actual entitlement, but I would be looking to keep the greening element for my risk. you would be getting a nice shade over 250 per ac for aslong as the current SFP

You like a bargain

Back